About APS Victoria
Half-Price Membership Offer
Australian Plants Society Victoria:
promoting Australian plants for more than 60 years
Arthur Swaby had a deep conviction that Australian plants deserved a prominent place in Australian horticulture. For several years he wrote a column called “Know Your Natives” in the popular gardening magazine Your Garden. In 1957, inspired by enthusiastic interest in his column, he called a meeting for anyone who liked to grow Australian native plants. The response was overwhelming, and the Society for Growing Australian Plants was established in Victoria. Now, there are 29 District Groups across Victoria, and APS Victoria is a member of ANPSA – The Australian Native Plants Society (Australia), Australia’s largest horticultural society.
- Promote growing Australian plants in home gardens and public places
- Encourage the nursery industry to propagate and supply Australian plants
- Improve Australian plants as garden subjects
- Encourage the recognition and development of distinctive landscape styles and forms using Australian plants
- Encourage and facilitate the conservation and study of Australian plants and their habitats
- Monitor and encourage the strengthening of the laws for preservation of flora
Like-minded individuals who support the APS Vic objectives have formed groups right across Victoria. They have regular meetings and activities and can assist with local knowledge and advice. Click on the map to find one near you.
Click here to view the benefits of being a member.
MIFGS 2023 Special: Click here to take advantage of the half-price membership offer during MIFGS 2023